Dry Ice is the common name for solid carbon dioxide (CO2). It gets this name because it does not melt into a liquid when heated; instead, it changes directly into a gas (This process is known as sublimation). As Ireland’s premier dry ice specialist, Polar Ice provides dry ice solutions for a diverse range of customers, in areas such as:
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Food Processing & Distribution
- Industrial Cleaning and Technical Processes
- Theatrical and Special Effects
- It is manufactured by compressing and cooling gaseous CO2 under high pressure to initially produce liquid CO2.
- The liquid is then allowed to expand under a reduced pressure to produce CO2 snow, and finally, this snow is compressed by a hydraulic press into convenient Dry Ice blocks, slices or pellets.
- The density of the compressed CO2 snow depends on the applied pressure and the pressure time. The density of the Dry Ice block can reach 1.56g/cm3 as a maximum at a temperature of -78.64°C.
We manufacture our Dry Ice using the world’s leading dry ice manufacturing equipment. After all, the premier quality of our dry ice can only be achieved through best-practice manufacturing techniques.
Due to its extremely low temperature of -78°c, dry ice is often used as an alternative to refrigeration for foodstuffs and medical supplies. In addition, special dry ice pellets are used for industrial cleaning.
View Applications of Dry Ice