Dry Ice is the common name for solid carbon dioxide (CO2). It gets this name because it does not melt into a liquid when heated; instead, it changes directly into a gas (This process is known as sublimation). As Ireland’s premier dry ice specialist, Polar Ice provides dry ice solutions for a diverse range of customers, in areas such as:
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Food Processing & Distribution
- Industrial Cleaning and Technical Processes
- Theatrical and Special Effects
- It is manufactured by compressing and cooling gaseous CO2 under high pressure to initially produce liquid CO2.
- The liquid is then allowed to expand under a reduced pressure to produce CO2 snow, and finally, this snow is compressed by a hydraulic press into convenient Dry Ice blocks, slices or pellets.
- The density of the compressed CO2 snow depends on the applied pressure and the pressure time. The density of the Dry Ice block can reach 1.56g/cm3 as a maximum at a temperature of -78.64°C.
We manufacture our Dry Ice using the world’s leading dry ice manufacturing equipment. After all, the premier quality of our dry ice can only be achieved through best-practice manufacturing techniques.
Due to its extremely low temperature of -78°, dry ice is often used as an alternative to refrigeration for foodstuffs and medical supplies. In addition, special dry ice pellets are used for industrial cleaning.